Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Strengths Finder...!!!

Here I’m…yet again…after a long time…but this time I’m not talking abt my favorites Nikhil or Bhargavi, neither m I talking abt Terrorism, nor m I talking abt Bollywood. Guess what, for a change I am talking abt “me”. Now, this might sound like a narcissist trying to satisfy his ego…par kya kare, when its helping me get out of my writer’s block n time crunch…so be it…!!! :).



We all have come across various interviews during our lives and the most favorite question of the interviewees have been…”Talk about five strengths of yours?” Some people spend hours looking for their strengths, searching for them, copying them from friends, creating them from dictionary and much more…but today I’ve got to share what Gallop Uncle says my strengths are…

Recently, the HR team at Perot Systems conducted a special psychometric survey called Strengths Finder accessible only to the 13 management trainees christened as LEAPS (Lead Effectively @ Perot Systems). The half an hour online test sounded pretty bugging initially to me here at workplace I have everything but time…Anyways I had to take it…n so I did…!

To set a background, I must tell you that the test is created by the pioneers in human behavior Gallup and it brings out the 5 most suitable Strength themes out of a list of 34 strengths showcased in the book named Strengths Finder 2.0…all 13 of us got some glaring results and that’s made me share mine with ROW…I would recommend this test to everyone who is reading this blog, coz it might finally let you know ‘what makes you what you are…’

My 5 strengths, right from the Strengths Finder 2.0 result, in the order of their appearance are:
1. Competition: People who are especially talented in the Competition theme measure their progress against the performance of others. They strive to win first place and revel in contests.

2. Achiever: People who are especially talented in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.


3. Strategic: People who are especially talented in the Strategic theme create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, they can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues.

4. Relator: People who are especially talented in the Relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.


5. Command: People who are especially talented in the Command theme have presence. They can take control of a situation and make decisions.

The idea behind letting people know their strengths from the book actually is to make individuals hone their strengths once they realize them…and the only key to job satisfaction as the book says is to work only on your strengths…to stay satisfied…

Now the challenge for me is to find out an area/field/job/profession which can provide me with an opportunity to hone my above mentioned strengths…well, I am looking for an answer…Can anyone help me...! Meanwhile if you get a chance to take this test or have taken it already, try sharing your results...Also, it wud be gr8 if you will mark your comments, share, or compare your own strengths in the process...:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude.. that was plain show off.. u want people to believe u actually put that on ur blog so that others help u decide which profession is best for u..?? good set of strenghts overall, but clearly decision making isnt one of ur greatest strengths.. !!
Also is there any link where we can take this test online?

akashthematrix said...

@Anonymous:
Hi...Thanks 4 parking the first comment to this post...
Its just another perception...I think ppl shud talk abt their strengths...though they were a lill personal, but then I thot whats there to hide in them.

Also, I liked the test...may b thats why is blog is a WOM publicity of Strengths Finder.

I think u will hav to buy the book (Strengths Finder 2.0) to take the online test...so go on...n plz share ur results...4sure :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm the one who wrote the first comment. I thought you'd delete it. Although I still dont quite buy the logic, but you've got another strength - accepting criticism and responding to it. Now that's what I like - a display of strength and not just a talk about it. Kudos!

akashthematrix said...

@Anonymous:
Thanks so much anonymous for coming out in open n telling the world u were the one who had posted the first comment :)

I liked ur critical comment...thrs obviously no running frm it...i liked ur courage to write that my blog sounded boasty...the idea was not tht...

N hey thankx for ur nice words...Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Sales, Business Consulting,
Marketing coz you are creative too..